On Thursday 23 March 2006 8:36 am, Kevin D. Clark wrote:

> I *HIGHLY* recommend Valgrind for memory leak detection.  It supports
> C++ name mangling, and works on multithreaded code.
>
> I've used a large variety of memory checking tools over the years;
> Valgrind is one of the very best.  The designers of this tool are
> geniuses.
I agree that Valgrind is an excellent tool. However Rational's (IBM's)
Purify Plus puts it to shame for a mere $10,000.

A year or so ago, on the BLU discussion list we had a discussion  of memory
leak detectors where a guy was trying to find a memory leak in his
company's code. He used Valgrind as well as electric fence and a few other
tools. He downloaded an evaluation version of Purify Plus, and found the
problem in 5 minutes, and at the same time was able to prove that the
problem was not in his company's code, but in the using company's code. His
company then actually purchased a license for Purify Plus. I happend to
work for over 2 years porting Purify Plus to Tru64 Unix.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group