What XML gives you is a standard way to define the structure,
schema, and so on, in a way that is unambiguous and machine-friendly.

Right. And if you do NOT create a X-Schema or DTD, and are using a
non-validating parser, and then have to write code to explore the DOM
generated from whatever XML it receives, you've given up 80% of the
advantage.

XHTML recaptulates HTML's errors of mixing presentation with contenat
AND of accepting invalid syntax forgivingly.

  As others have said, the major benefit to this is you don't have to
write a new parser and validator every time you create a new data
structure.  You just use the pre-existing XML library.

AND USE THE VALIDATOR.

  That being said, the hype behind XML is largely, well, hype.  But
that's nothing new, either.  I'm still waiting for my flying car.

Yup.

The real win is PORTABLE , multiplatform, choice of parser
implementations that will accept a standard Schema (or DTD)
definition.

  Currently, XML is fostering some improvements in the area of open
data formats.

A very good thing.

While XML does lend itself to this well, I personally
think it is more a coincidence than anything else.

It's more than a coincidence, the availability of open-source
parser/validators and viewers makes it a viable basis for
standards-mongers.

XML just happened
to be in the right place at the right time.  We're fortunate we got
XML, and not something truely awful like DER or OLE Container
Documents or something.

Yeah.

  I'm hoping the magic pixie dust currently associated with XML keeps
the momentum behind open data formats going.

Yeah

--
Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]