> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:01:01 -0400
> From: Ted Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Jim Kuzdrall wrote:
> >     What is the most efficient way to destroy the data on a hard drive
> > before junking it?  Normal file erasure leaves the data intact.  Secure

> Define "efficiency." My definition is free, fast, effective.
>
> For me, it's taking the drive out to the shop and using it for drill
> press practice. A dozen holes through the case, circuit board and
> platters isn't anywhere near NSA-level scrubbing, by any means, but I
> think it's sufficient enough for most practical purposes.

Actually, this is a method which I would (depending on your needs)
disrecommend.  If the controller were replaced and the platters
blown-out (or mounted in another drive of the same model), it would be
fairly easy to recover a large part of the data.  (Obviously, not the
sectors with holes in them.)  If simply damaging/removing the
controller would be sufficient to meet your "efficiency" requirements,
then the drill press would seem to be a fun way to do it. :)
(Hm... would anyone be up for a hard drive shredding at this weekend's
BBQ?!)