[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> IIRC, APC UPSs (how's that for an acronym?) generally ship with the
> batteries DISCONNECTED.  When you get it and first open the box, the
> instructions tell you how to hook them up.

U.S. FAA & DOT requests that batteries are disconnected. during shipment.
It is a voluntary program, as far as I know, but all the UPSes I've seen
in the last
few years, no matter who made them, come disconnected. So, it isn't just
APC.
In one brand, they had a locking slide switch which made the connection
rather
than having to open the unit to connect the battery wire, like APC does.

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951