Ben Scott wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 10:08 AM, Paul Lussier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> We need to monitor it in the OS to detect the failure on one of the redundant
>> power supplies (it would be tough to detect the failure the second :)
>>
>   Nonsense, that's *easy* to detect.  Kind of impacts availability, though.
> ;-)

Oddly enough I'm involved with a Linux-based project which needs to
detect that the power has gone out, and, during the run-down of the
capacitors, save the state of the system and then automatically resume
when the power returns. Or just resume if the power is back before the
caps run out. No batteries allowed. Typically power will be off for a
few seconds to half a minute. So, while the actual power off does impact
availability, not as much as you'd think. Though this is different than
the power supply itself failing. That would crimp things a bit. :-)

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951