Tom Buskey wrote:
I use a wired earpiece in the car so I can keep my hands on the wheel when I
drive.  I've used it while running out of the car to get something & keep my
hands free.  It's nice to be able to do something & not have to wait for the
call to finish.

BT would mean I don't have that pesky wire hanging around.  I could see BT
headphones being useful instead of wired when I'm doing yardwork, mountain
biking and motorcycling.

I could see it in a remote data center.  The tech in the center has the
BT/phone while using tools as someone else is talking them though it.

Of course, it can get out of hand.

For safety when driving, a hands-free kit is very important. Only not talking on the phone could be safer. (Or not driving at all, of course.)

We used wired headsets for a couple of years. We both kept catching the wires and tearing off the headset or phone. We purchased at least three wired headsets during that time, as we kept destroying them. One phone was held together by duct tape by the end. We only converted to BT headsets this last year when we got BT-capable phones. We would never switch back - dorky as the blinking blue headset looks. I'm geek, so that doesn't matter to me, but my business partner is definitely not geek. The benefits outweigh the appearance aspect for him.

I've had my business partner talk me to a destination, giving me street by street directions from Google Maps when I would otherwise have needed to either stop and view a map or, much worse, try to read a map while driving (haven't we all done that). He has also rerouted me around traffic/construction/weather blockages.

We have both used headsets when acting as remote techs. Making the phones hands-free made collaborative work possible that was inconvenient or impossible before. Making them wireless perfected it. As we have unlimited minutes between our phones, we can effectively work together while physically separate. We rarely are sitting at computers where IM would be feasible, and voice is more effective for us, so BT headsets have allowed us to greatly increase the amount of work we can get done without detriment to the immediate tasks at hand.

They are not status symbols whatsoever, but cost effective tools with safety benefits.

begin:vcard
fn:Dan Jenkins
n:Jenkins;Dan
org:Rastech Inc.
adr:;;21 Curtis Lane;Bedford;NH;03110;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Technical Director
tel;work:1-603-206-9951
x-mozilla-html:FALSE