On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 13:50 -0400, Warren Luebkeman wrote:
> I am curious how common it is for peoples servers to go extremely long
> periods of time without crashing/reboot.  Our server, running Debian Sarge,
> which serves our email/web/backups/dns/etc has been running 733 days (two
> years) without a reboot.  Its in an 4U IBM chassis with dual power supplies,
> which was old when we fired it up (PIII Server).
>
> Does anyone have similar uptime on their mission critical servers?  Whats the
> longest uptime someone has had with Windows?

DEC had a customer who owned an AlphaServer 2100 for 7 years. In that
time the server was rebooted exactly once due to patch kit installation
(it ran VMS).

In my experience the stability of any system has to do with it's usage.
With servers running programs that are reasonably stable up time will
certainly be many months and can stretch into years. Any system that for
example is running unpredictable loads such as one might find in a
time-sharing university setting are less likely to have long uptimes.
The bane of server operations are applications with memory leaks. If
these apps aren't restricted that will consume all available memory and
eventually cause the system to swap it's brains out. User space apps can
usually be prevented from taking the system down but a memory leak in a
service can easily make the system crash or become unavailable.

-Alex

P.S. Interesting stats to collect from a system that has a long uptime
are the load averages for CPU, memory and I/O.