On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 17:31 -0400, Alex Hewitt wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 16:40 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Bruce Labitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >  Now that I think about this, all that I want is a format that I can read
> > >  and write to for the WinXP machines that I have to live with and with
> > >  linux.
> >
> >   Ah, then yah, FAT32 is likely your best bet.  That seems to have
> > become the "lingua franca" for filesystem interoperability.
> >
> > > Unfortunately when I received the disk it already was preformatted
> > > NTFS.
> >
> >   I'd say your best bet is to change the partition type of the
> > existing partition to 0x0C using fdisk, and then format it using
> > mkdosfs.
>
> Believe it or not, if you want a > 32 GB partition you need to do it
> with Linux or a manufacturer supplied utility (Western Digital provides
> one for some of their 2.5 external hard drives). Microsoft doesn't
> believe you should be using > 32 GB FAT32 partitions even though the
> file system will support operations much greater.
>
> -Alex

One other size limit - FAT32 file systems don't support file sizes > 4
GB. This can be a bit painful if for example you were using your FAT32
volume as a backup device and the backup attempts to put the entire
backup into a single file. There are backup utilities that are aware of
this size limitation and will automatically break the backup into < 4 GB
chunks.

-Alex