I have a laptop that was setup for a family member using a Zenwalk
install. The laptop doesn't have a functional CD reader and I don't have
the root password. I am able to easily pull the hard drive and mount it
as a USB external drive to my Ubuntu system. I can see the passwd and
shadow files and the lilo.conf file. Is there an easy way to edit the
shadow password file to set a good password for root? Or might it be
easier to modify the lilo.conf file to get into single user mode and set
a new password from there?

The current root password line in the shadow password file is:

root:$1$yDo/7BS7$y8McHMKPj3hTRnSl.HTrO/:13427:0:::::

Can I just remove the string "$1$yDo/7BS7$y8McHMKPj3hTRnSl.HTrO/" to
edit out the password or do I need to replace it with something else?

-Alex