virgins...@vfemail.net wrote:
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:46:26 -0500
From: "Ben Scott" <dragonh...@gmail.com>

not to.  There are orders of magnitude more bots then web servers.

That's quite a claim.  Do you have evidence for this?

I can't say for the types of payload, which would affect your remediation efforts, carried on the various botnets (which, of course, varies depending on how the authors and their sublettors use the botnets), but the Storm botnet was enormous by most estimates. Kraken the current (known) king is supposed to be(come) bigger. There are about 186,727,854 web sites currently, though, obviously, far fewer web servers to host them. To, if the estimate of 50,000,000 in the Storm botnet (using the higher numbers) was accurate and, for sake of argument, 10 web sites are hosted on a server on average (purely out of thin air number I made up), there are 19,000,000 web servers. So, for sake of argument (do we need a sake for argument?), there are more botnets than web servers. :-)