I remember when "Unix" (instead of "UNIX") first started appearing.  It
was when the popular press started writing about it.  I was working for
DEC and there was a flurry that lasted for about two or three months
while our legal department kept trying to get the press to do all CAPS
in the press releases, etc., but eventually they gave up.

It was like Linus said (when asked if it was pronounced LIEnux or
LEEnux),

      "I do not care how you pronounce it, as long as you use it."

>Which is why most folks avoid its use.  'UNIX is a trademark, formerly
>a product, and now a certification, but Unix is a design philosophy',
>is one common usage.

You forgot to mention that is is also a standard, the "Single UNIX
Specification".

md

Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)
email: mad...@li.org         80 Amherst St.
Voice: +1.603.672.4557       Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
WWW: http://www.li.org

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.