Alan Johnson wrote:
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Dan Jenkins <d...@rastech.com> wrote:

 I have successfully used Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT or HyperWRT Thibor
(the latter is deprecated I gather) firmware for about 40 concurrent users
in three different settings: teachers in a training session, kids in a
mobile lab setting, and a small cube farm with mixed engineers & biz folk. I
had no problems with simultaneous connections. The teachers and kids all
were making Internet connections simultaneously for their training and
testing (25-35 of them).

I have also used Belkin (don't recollect the model) with stock firmware for
a school with about 200 users. I have eight scattered around, plus two with
stock WRT54G firmware. We used to have a lot of problems when we had older
Linksys units, but most of the problem likely came from them moving the
access points around, rather than from the equipment itself. They didn't
have enough APs for the physical space and did not understand how to deal
with wireless. (Several times we found three or four access points stacked
on top of each other to, in the words of someone, "boost the signal.") Once
we got the units evenly distributed and secured and configured the laptops
properly, things have been running well. We did do some basic testing to
ensure reasonable signal strength throughout the space when we positioned
the units.

Based on your physical dimensions, I would go with two, on non-overlapping
channels, one at each end of the space

Looking only at the wireless network layer, 802.11b is bad at handling
multiple active clients and will only get you 5Mbps of application
throughput when you have an 11Mbps connection over the air.  It should
handle 10-20 active clients on a ~1Mbps back haul fairly nicely since that
leaves 4Mbps to be wasted on collisions and retransmits.

I had forgotten to mention that we had eliminated all the 11b we could in that 200 users network. That definitely helped a lot.
11a/g starts with a bigger pipe of ~14Mbps of application throughput on a
36Mbps+ connection over the air and is better at sharing it.  If every one
has full signal and with 54Mbps of on-the-air speed, that gives you 18Mbps
to waste on collisions.  You should easily be able to serve 40 clients (as
mentioned by Dan) sharing a 12Mbps connection.  You might not want to play
Doom on it, but if you are mostly talking about web browsing and email, that
kind of bursty, not-so-latency-sensitivity traffic should be fine.  In fact,
I would think you could get 100 or more users sharing such a connection.  If
you are limited to 6Mbps back-haul, and disable 11b, then I'd bet on a
pretty smooth ride all 100+.

11n varies widely in application throughput by device (did that ever come
out of draft?), but I have not heard anything less than 100Mbps.  I don't
know for sure, but I am pretty sure it uses the same sharing as 11a/g.  I
would be shocked if it is worse.  At a max of 200 simultaneous routed
connections (a la Bruce Dawson's link) you are going to hit that before you
max out 11n clients.

So, my suggestion is that 1 11g router on a clean channel should more than
meet your needs if the guts behind the radio can handle the connections.  Go
for 11n if you expect that kind of client, but remember that 2.4Ghz 11n
traffic will crush any 11b/g traffic competing for the same bandwidth on a
nearby access point.  Same goes for 5Ghz 11n vs 11a.  Not really your
problem, but we Linux geeks are all about play-nice, right?

Also, 11n uses twice the bandwidth per channel, so you need 2 of the 3
non-overlapping channels of 11b/g to run 11n at 2.4Ghz.  This means you will
aways be using some of channel 6, the middle of which is the resonant
frequency of H2O used by microwave ovens.  (This is why the 2.4Ghz band is
unlicensed.)  I have not heard of microwave ovens causing noticeable
problems with 11n at 2.4Ghz, but they sure can screw up 11g and they crush
any 11b within range.

I've definitely seen problems with 2.4GHz cordless phones taking out 11g. Never noticed microwaves doing it though.
As for picking a clean channel and playing nice, run net stumbler before you
buy anything just to see the situation, unless you are sure you are clean in
this location.  It is free, so it does not hurt to check anyway.  Kind of a
fun tool to play with.  It even cracks WEP keys for you!  Or is that Air
Snort...  It has been a while since I played with either.

In a perfect world, everyone runs 5Ghz 11n and leaves 2.4 for other
technologies, but unless you are in a corporate setup with bucks to blow on
new client WNICs, then I'm guessing that won't happen. =)

My experience with 11n at 2.4 GHz is limited. It works nicely at 5 GHz.
I was (operative word, "was") in a situation where we could have switched everyone at our client to 11n, but then the economy happened and that project is shelved now.
Oh, and it is worth mentioning that Linksys hardware runs on open-source
Linux based software.  Maybe others too, but they have been doing it the
longest.  Oh, Buffalo Technologies did at one point, but I have not checked
in a while.

I'm planning to be at the next DLSLUG, Ted (or anyone), if you want to dig
into this deeper with me. =)

While I agree in principle with Ben that commercial grade is better than consumer grade, I have had pretty good experience with consumer grade.
The 200 user client was quoted $25,000 for a commercial-grade wireless solution from someone whose name escapes me at the moment.
We used eight $50 Belkin APs, disabling 11b in the environment, retiring any 11b wireless adapters, and proper configuration of existing wireless clients and are happy with this $400 solution, which the $25,000 vendor said would not work. I do not doubt that the other solution would have been better technically, but it was not affordable.