This is totally off-topic (except that we use Linux for all of the
server infrastructure there), but I figured some of you may have some
insight on this issue.

We have an elementary school as a client. They want to have a more
dynamic web site with teachers / classrooms having more up-to-date web
presence. Web presence defined as any of web page(s), blogs, wiki, etc.
Each classroom sub-site could be different. They just want to have
something which teachers would update with minimal effort for those who
won't/can't expend more effort. As most places, there are a few zealous
ones, a bulk of if-it's-not-too-much-trouble (or, to be honest,
I-don't-have-enough-time-as-it-is) ones and a few no-way-no-how ones.

They do not have a clear idea of what they want to present, nor to whom.
(I know that ought to be the first thing, but they simply don't know
yet.) This is brain-storming phase.

They tried a website some years ago, with each classroom having a web
page, but it bogged down. They were using various web editors (Publisher
mostly), and most people got tied up in the effort of creating web pages
that looked good to them, versus content that was useful to others.

I am not looking for ways to inspire them (though I will be happy to
listen to any).

I am looking for tools to make it easy for them to update content
(broadly defining content) and provide an overarching structure to make
it easy-to-find.

They have four Linux servers (Mandriva), with the usual LAMP. We are
planning on overhaul of their Linux servers this summer to address
performance (on their email server/web filter) and storage issues (they
are doing much more video editing and space has gotten tight). This
summer would be a good time to put any new infrastructure for this in place.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
--
Dan Jenkins, Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, - 603-206-9951
*** IT support excellence for thirty years