Hi everybody,

There's apparently a `Nashua Scrum Club' that just formed recently:

    http://nashua.scrumclub.org/

I heard about it last week, in time to attend this month's meeting
(the second ever); it seems like something that some of the GNHLUG
membership might be interested in.

Going into it, I was sort-of afraid that it might just be a venue for
the sponsors to hock their services, but it looks like it is actually
an interesting and well-intentioned group: the stated goals were `to
build a community of agile developers', `to help that community', and
`to empower that community to help the broader community'; the latter
point was actually more specified--ultimately, said the host, they'd
like to be able to organise community-service projects with scrum
people.

BigVisible and Microsoft were briefly mentioned in a `thanks to our
sponsors', but it definitely wasn't an advertising- or sales-venue for
either of them (the only further mention that I recall of Microsoft
was, `Um..., MS doesn't do agile. Don't look to them as an example.').

The opening act was really just an old-school (face-to-face)
social-networking session, with some focus on connecting unemployed
geeks with employers who could use them (so, anyone looking to hire
developers may want to drop in on their meetings just for the sake of
recruiting).

Johanna Rothman was pretty awesome; I have a PDF copy of her
presentation-slides, which maybe I can forward along to help explain
the actual details if anyone's interested.

It's still sort-of weird for me to watch people using things like
"Scrum" and "Agile development" as a distinct terminology for what
I've always just thought of as `sound engineering practices', and it
was nice to see Rothman speaking in a very matter-of-fact `yes it *is*
just sound engineering practices' way--it seems less, um..., cultish?
And easier for non-trendy people like myself to follow. :)

At the end, they asked for people to file bug-reports against the
event (via sticky-notes); I think the host made a remark, in the
context of this being the second meeting ever, along the lines of
`Nashua Scrum Club is still working through beta, so please file
bug-reports!'.

The meetings are monthly, except that there's no meeting scheduled for
December (to avoid `competing with people's families during the
holiday season').

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).