We were contemplating GPS units last year, but we never completed the
research and didn't make a purchase.  That being said, it looks like
the major players are Garmin and TomTom.

Some TomTom units run Linux, see: http://opentom.org/

However, Garmin may be more ubiquitous.  It looks like newer Garmins
support USB Mass Storage.  So putting OpenStreetMap data files on them
is simply a matter of copying the appropriate .img file.  See:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Mass_Storage_Mode
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

--Peter