On 05/12/2010 01:46 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> This is why I'm dubious of these `N810's GPS receiver is slow' claims--
> because coupling them with `... so I never use it' is actually a
> vicious cycle.

Are the claims peculiar to the N810?  If not, perhaps you are right.
What other not-always-on-the-internet devices that support GPS as a
non-main feature are there?

I could do a test.  Get a fix, drop it, wait N hours and reacquire.
Graph reacquisition time against N.  Except I'll never have the time for
all those tests, so I'll just do one if you suggest a value for N.

I will note, though, that when I first unpacked my actual GPS it
acquired a signal in just a couple of minutes *from inside the house*
whereas the N810 has rarely done it even standing in the yard for
significant fractions of an hour.