Pressure from advertisers.  Sourceforce could not survive by charging
users/projects for the hosting, they would just go elsewhere, so they're
reliant (heavily) on Microsoft and other proprietary software companies for
funding.

You run into the same problem with newspapers.  Journalists are actively
(and often strongly) encouraged to present advertisers in a positive light.
Indymedia and many community papers have never accepted advertising for this
reason.