Tyson Sawyer <ty...@j3.org> writes:

> An excerpt from an email exchange where I work:
>
> > A tool I just found out they spent $9k on (two floating licenses) called
> > IAR says this about language support:
> >
> > _http://www.iar.com/website1/1.0.1.0/50/1/_
[...]
> > Obviously there is also GCC for ARM processors. I was told IAR was
> > purchased because management wanted to make sure nothing was
> > holding up <name> in his work with the SAM7x camera controller. I'm told
> > we can get support from IAR when we pay that much, and this does not
> > exist when we decide to use GCC.
>
> It is my belief that that last statement is wrong.  Can anyone point
> me to sources of professional support for GCC/G++ on embedded systems
> and some idea of what the pricing structure might be?  This would be
> for a C/C++ on bare metal environment.  Most of our work is on larger
> processors running Linux, but our "microcontrollers" have only
> recently started to be 32 bit systems that we might prefer to use GCC
> on.
>
> I'm looking for more than "yeah, someone will take your money".  I'm
> looking for something that provides a similar result to what is
> mentioned above.  It would need to be support that keeps us on
> schedules.

I'm not sure of specific details off the top of my head, but some names
that come to mind: Monta Vista, Wind River, Allegro Consultants,
Red Hat (GNUPro?); there are some others listed at the FSF's
Service Directory:

    http://www.fsf.org/resources/service

Could also try finding out where the active GCC maintainers all work ;)