n Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Mike Bilow <mik...@colossus.bilow.com> wrote:
Open source software is all well and good, but if you want to really
scare the crap out of people and shake things up in a state legislature,
start talking about open source _textbooks_ as well:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2008/09/open-source-tex/

-- Mike

Very nice!  But, why does this need to be a commercial venture?  Why not follow the wikipedia model?  Something a little tighter for editing would be needed, but consider the volume and quality of information that is already there.  I expect much of that would provide a good base for converting/developing into textbook/tutorial format.  Heck, the wikipeida guys out to just do it.  I don't mean to over simplify the effort, but it seems like a reasonable next step.

I teach English Comp at the community college, and have the following Creative Commons book available to my students:
http://writingspaces.org/volume1
College teachers have a lot of flexibility.
Susan Cragin