On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:05:15 -0400, Mark Komarinski <mkomarin...@wayga.org>
wrote:
> Now, now, stop what you're thinking.  I have no intention of this going
> to the outside world, and that means I need to set it up on my Debian
> server in the basement so she can do whatever she wants.  I need to have
> it local so I can monitor the content and who gets access to it, but I
> don't know what blogging software is out there that kids can easily
> understand and use.

I'm not sure what not going to the "outside world" means if you are
restricting access. You and she can read it but not the rest of your
family? The dog? I think if you are both monitoring and restricting,
accessing over the Internet shouldn't be a problem. In fact, EITHER
monitoring OR restricting would probably be sufficient.

In any case, you can do both things without serving the pages
yourself. I've got a host (webhostingbuzz, but any will work) and I'm
running WordPress on it. WP is pretty simple to use, especially if you
set it up and show her how to do the basics.

 I set up the domain so that if/when my kids want to have a site they
can do it under their own names as "http://firstname.lastname.org";. They
already have firstn...@lastname.org email addresses.