On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:32:43 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen <roz...@geekspace.com>
wrote:
> Maybe you guys can suggest other providers, or just provide
> some thoughts on the two I've listed above.

I think a reasonably protective feature should be something like getting
their own domain name in the email address. Otherwise, the email
provider has a "barrier to exit" for a person who doesn't want to change
their address all over the Internet. It doesn't look like lavabit
supports that and fastmail.fm definitely doesn't (at least according to
their signup form).

> I'm assuming that `someone who you actually pay for service
> as an actual customer' is going to have to be part of my
> recommendation, and that something on the order of $10
> *per year* should actually reasonable to a normal person.

The $10/yr looks pretty reasonable for lavabit but you only get 100MB of
storage at fastmail for that. If you delete your mail on the server,
then attachments shouldn't add up but if you don't you'll probably need
the $20/yr level. That's still "on the order of" $10/yr but then so is
my full hosting solution with is about $70/yr (apparently, according to
the prices listed on hostmonster.com).

Here's the problem I ran into: I wanted to be logged out when using
Google as a search engine[1]. That meant not only no more GMail but also
no more Google Reader. If these friends 1) subscribe to RSS feeds and 2)
want to read them from multiple locations, they are going to need a
solution for that. That's what really drove me to my own hosting
solution. I needed to be able to install a web-based RSS reader, in
addition to having an email provider.

One idea is that these friends could band together and pay for one
hosting account. Of course, if they each wanted their own domains they'd
still be paying more than $10/yr.

[1] I don't even use them for that anymore, so it seems kind of moot,
but with their web bugs and trackers all over it really isn't.