"Brian St. Pierre" <br...@bstpierre.org> writes:
> On 06/18/2012 12:00 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> > "Brian St. Pierre" <br...@bstpierre.org> writes:
> > >
> > > Is there support built-in for posting photos? Or would that
> > > require some add-on app/service?
> > >
> > > I used facebook for a while but deleted my profile. (Some key friends
> > > have also deleted profiles, so the utility that *was* there has fallen
> > > way off.) I liked the ability to see pix of friends' kids and stuff
> > > like that. Didn't like the games & spammy stuff.
[...]
> > Are these `friends with cute kids' all just floating around with nowhere
> > to post that stuff, now that they've left Facebook? Or, what are they
> > using?
>
> It's fractured. Some people email, some use other photo-sharing (eg
> shutterfly). Some people send dead trees via snail mail. Some have
> gone dark. Some are still on facebook, but since *I'm* not there I
> don't get the updates. Some people I was never really close enough
> (friends-of-friends, we've met a few times at parties, etc) to that
> we'd go to the effort of intentionally emailing each other with photos
> & updates, but the semi-promiscuous FOAF-level sharing on facebook was
> mutually interesting. I think a couple of geek friends have their own
> self-hosted photo albums, but I don't necessarily have an easy
> mechanism for seeing/discovering their new stuff.

A few specific thoughts:

    * If your friends are posting public things publicly,
      even if they're not using StatusNet, you may already
      be able to use StatusNet to subscribe to them. WordPress,
      tumblr, and a number of other sites/platforms provide
      feeds that StatusNet can use to federate with them.

    * If your friends are posting things privately and you need
      to log into their sites, you may be able to use your
      StatusNet account to do that: StatusNet functions as
      an OpenID provider as well as being able to authenticate
      users using other OpenID providers. And the same goes
      for other people logging into your site.

    * It's apparently possible to hook MediaGoblin into StatusNet,
      if you want more advanced `photo- and video-sharing'
      than what's built-into StatusNet directly, per this thread:

          http://identi.ca/conversation/94435419

    * There's also a `Gallery' plugin for StatusNet, which
      looks like it was pretty neat when it worked (in the
      StatusNet 0.9 era)..., but has fallen into disrepair:

          http://identi.ca/conversation/94435406

          http://gitorious.org/statusnet-gallery