On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Mike Bilow <mik...@colossus.bilow.com>wrote:

> Finally, CrashPlan is a cloud backup service that supports Linux clients
> as well as Windows and MacOS clients. The software is free, allowing you

It also works & is supported on Solaris!

> to back up one computer to your other computers, but there is an

If you have a file server at home, I recommend running CrashPlan on it with
a local folder/disk/etc and running CrashPlan on all your home systems to
backup to it.

It's free, automatic, the app is portable and stays out of the way.

If you decide to purchase the cloud storage, the local storage is still a
good idea.  You can recover items from your local backup much faster then
the cloud.  The cloud gives disaster recovery if your local stuff has a
disaster.

> Note that the CrashPlan client for Linux can run in a quasi-documented
> "headless" mode on a machine that has no GUI at all and is remotely
> controlled over the network. In fact, I often control the headless Linux
> client by connecting to it from a Windows client over the network. The
> Linux client is written in Java and runs fine under OpenJDK, including
> in headless mode using headless OpenJDK (for which Debian has package
> "openjdk-6-jre-headless"). Although the quasi-documentation could be
> better, it is here:
>
> http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/configure_a_headless_client
>
> -- Mike

It can be run from a startup script.  I think if you fire up the client,
the server stays running, headless, when you quit.  So it can serve your
clients with folders to backup.