Portable VirtualBox - to Run Linux in a VM from a USB drive in a Windows
system

http://lifehacker.com/portable-virtualbox-lets-you-take-virtual-machines-anyw-1572641481
http://www.vbox.me/

Or, even easier, portable Libre Office running on Windows.  Then the data
files are always Libre Office format on a USB drive.  Edit on Linux, edit
on Windows, always running Libre Office.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable/  I'd suggest
doing this in any event.

However, I bet the school is teaching *PowerPoint*, not presentation
software.  In which case the student is expected to provide a powerpoint
that works on the school's system.  If that is the case, you should work
out with the teacher how to do things at home.  Maybe LibreOffice on a
thumb drive is ok.

FWIW - in Cub Scouting, I've found lots of reference to OpenOffice instead
of the expensive brand.  Most schools have a licensing deal with MS and
don't think of it.