On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Jonathan Linowes <jonat...@linowes.com>
wrote:

> Specifically right now, I need a static IP to log in to a secure website.
> I have a legacy VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 so I
> thought I could use that as a VPN or even just SSL tunneling. I tried to
> set it up but didn’t get too far. My linux skills are quite rusty. Or
> maybe there’s a better, longer term solution. Is this something you can
> help?

Hi Jon:
A few initial thoughts:
1) RHEL4 is extremely old (RHEL5 is about to reach end of life soon).
If you’re familiar with RHEL, then you should consider upgrading to  RHEL 6
(or consider CentOS6 from centos.org — the same system without commercial
support).
Otherwise, it may be difficult to match any advice you receive to the old
RHEL4 environment.

2) Without further details it is difficult to get into specifics, but it
looks like you are using the legacy VPS for the static IP.
If a VPS is secure enough for you, then my recommendation would be to
upgrade to a VPS with a more modern OS and then confirm you can connect
directly from it to the target server. Once that’s confirmed operational,
then you can look at setting up something like stunnel to forward from your
machine to the remote.

—Ray
--
Raymond Cote, President