FWIW, this total system crash has been isolated to the kernel.  Kernel 5.17.5-76051705 crashes.  Which was pushed out to apt on, guess what, May 26, 2022, the date my computer went to hades.

Kernel 5.15.0-37-generic does not crash.  Kernel 5.18.2 also crashes, only if I use TyCommander, but not necessarily during a USB flashing.  I had 5.18.2 crash while I was using Firefox, but while Arduino IDE and TyCommander were active.

Now running on 5.15 and things are stable.

I know nothing about kernels and stuff like this.  Been forced into it.  An average Joe like me shouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing.

TyCommander works fine on an RPI4 running Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit, which as I understand it is a Debian derivative.  The kernel is 5.15.30, according to Wikipedia.  Not looking forward to an update of that kernel.

I have no idea how to make a minimal dying example for any developers...