On 10/18/05, Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | It's not under copyright - you can't copyright pure data, like
> | telephone numbers or contact information.
>
> Its probably under a "compilation copyright" though.

  Indeed.  This is why, for example, Linux distribution vendors can
prohibit copying of their CDs, even though the individual components
of the distribution are not there.  The act of compilation (the
general term, not the computer usage) is itself often quite labor
intensive, and thus deserves certain protections (or so the rationale
goes).

> Anyway, the DMCA provides copyright protection for all published works,
> whether it has the "Copyright (c)..." notation or not.

  I don't believe this is new with the DMCA.  I remember reading about
this back in the early 1990s, when I first became concerned with
software copyrights.   The gist of it was that copyright law provides
certain protections from the moment of creation.  You don't need to
print an explict notice.  Nor do you need to register the copyright.
Doing either or both does grant you some additional
protections/rights, though, and certainly helps a court case.

> At any rate, IANAL, so I may be lying through my teeth. Check with
> your friendly IP attorney if this is important to you.

  Ditto.

-- Ben "This message is copyright (C) 2005" Scott