On Oct 16, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

As this investigation builds, the list of possible explanations for
the incorporation shrinks rapidly toward zero.  Let me add a way-out,
paranoid possibility.

Yep, you're right, that's way out.

    I wonder if there is a rather active bank account somewhere in the
name of GNHLUG.  It might serve for money laundering or tax evasion.
(Wow, this is getting exciting!)  The bank might check that it is a
valid NH corporation, but no further.

No, banks require a Federal ID number.

Another route to explore is taxes. Don't corporations have to file
tax forms, whether or not they make a profit?  Is the federal tax
filing public information?  Perhaps it must be if the incorporation
were "non-profit".

As long as the non-profit is small (and depending under which IRS reg the group is formed - 501c3, 501c6, 529, etc.), no federal filings are required. I think the limit for the form we were looking at was $10,000.

Standard disclaimer: no statements in this document should be construed as legal or tax advice.

It would be pretty curious if "GNHLUG" were a laundering operation or a means of slipping money to politicians, a;a Abramoff.

It's more likely a transposition of the numbers, however. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com