Two comments. at the end...

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:47:59 -0500
Ted Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thirteen folks attended the "alpha" MythTV installfest. A good time
> was had by all. Pizza was eaten. Pictures were taken (http://
> www.flickr.com, keyword search on gnhlug mythtv). Several people got
> machines working, and others got some great pointers. We learned a
> great deal about how to run an installfest. I took a few notes on
> request:
>
> 0. STARTING ON TIME IS ESSENTIAL; THIS MAY TAKE MOST OF THE DAY.
>
> 1. Better directions especially on-campus: which parking lot, which
> entrance to the building, where the elevator is; people are going to
> be hauling hardware.
>
> 2. It would be good if we could provide a handcart to assist with
> transporting computers inside.
>
> 3. Add signs to the door ("Yes, you're at the right building. MythTV
> installfest this way...")
>
> 4. As maddog has posted, installfest will go better if we limit the
> options of cards to be installed. Disks should  be backed up and/or
> not needed so the entire thing can be blown away. Ideal, a clean FC6
> install already completed with all hardware other than the card
> configured.
>
> 5. Which software to use? MythDora was a bust. FC 6 full install
> looks like a good choice. Local respositories might speed the
> process, but that could be a problem if the attendee wants to repeat
> the install later at home. Building a disk with everything needed on it?
>
> 6. Question on the costs of a 'standard' box: ~ $600 for SDTV, ~
> $1200 for HDTV box. While we don't want to be locked into a vendor,
> inviting some local suppliers who might be able to offer pre-
> installed boxes? One attendee thought there might be a business in
> offering these pre-installed and configured.
>
> 7. Question on how to reset MySQL root password if cut-and-paste
> causes problems. Answer: Google.
>
> 8. Pre-requisites ought to include registering on Zap2It to configure
> each clients specific cable channel configuration (do we want to have
> a standard config to use at the installfest so that everyone gets up
> and running and can see video?)
>
> 9;. Q: How can I tell if I have us-cable, us-cable-hrc, us-cable-irc?
> A: www.avsforum.com may have your specific configuration. Channels 4
> and 5 will tell if you pick the wrong IRC/HRC
>
> 10. pcHDTV card install should be "DVB DTV capture card" and NOT
> "pcHDTV" choice.
>
> 11. We ended up using Jarod's HOWTO. It might make sense to have a
> few copies printed out and/or encourage attendees to read these in
> advance.
>
> I'd suggest we might want to write up an instruction sheet to ensure
> the attendee understands what's expected of them in advance, what
> they'll get at the end of the session, and how to get there. A form
> for them to fill out with checkboxes for pre-install, pre-register at
> Zap2It, etc?

The pilot was a great success.  (Its purpose: to illuminate the next
layer of what we should do, and what we shouldn't do.  These are what
it did!)  Comments/+1s:

1. Some of what has to happen can be done in advance.  E.g., figuring
   out which cable company a participant uses (and therefore which
   "IRC HI" magic word will be filled in the appropriate magig GUI).
   And registering with zap2it.

2. Since we're going to promise that "if you adhere to the following
   recommendations we'll 'guarantee' that you'll leave the installfest
   with a working system", we'd do ourselves a favor to...  test the
   recommended procedure beforehand.

Essentially this seems to be saying that we'll use Jarod's HOWTO,
updated a little (and streamlined a lot -- to focus on the chosen cards
and to take advantage of the things which we'll know have been done
in advance).

.02_and_this_is_going_to_be_fun'ly yrs,

Bill