On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 08:09 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 4/3/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> - Fedora Core 6 anaconda installer installed i586 kernel on i686 systems
> >
> > This was combined with the fact that the PVR-150 drivers were not in the
> > kernel, so had to be brought over.
>
>   Actually, I thought that, once we had loaded the right kernel for
> the hardware, the drivers started working automatically.  We got
> sidetracked trying to track down drivers because we didn't realize we
> were running the wrong kernel, and so thought the kernel we had just
> didn't support the hardware.
>
>   I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure Gary Kaufman said
> that, once we got the i686 kernel loaded and running, it "just
> worked".

In any case, it was the wrong combination of kernel and drivers.

> > We need to make this a step-by-step "MyTHTV for dummies".  No one gets
> > ahead, and no one falls behind.
>
>   Already started:
>
> http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/MythTVFedora6
>
> > This was because he wanted to put the HDHomeRun on a separate LAN from
> > the rest of his network
>
> ... because he had a wireless LAN for his main home network.  (FYI.)

Even if he had a different type of LAN, for the type of traffic that two
tuners cranking out HD data, you probably would want to have it on a
different LAN.  His comment was that none of his routers he had could
handle the load, so he put it on its own "LAN".

> > In addition, David Brooks of the Nashua Telegraph showed up and
> > talked with people and took notes about Linux, why people were there,
> > what they liked about FOSS, etc.  David knew about Jarod
> > being absent and "shirts happen", so I think his article will be more
> > about FOSS and what would have happened if we were more prepared.
>
>   Hopefully it *won't* be about what a train wreck this was, and why
> FOSS is so totally not ready for prime time.

We will see.

> > ... if people had read the instructions and installed Fedora before
> > they arrived ...
>
>   Our instructions said we would walk people through the OS install.

Yes, but we also encouraged them to install Fedora ahead of time to
check out their hardware.  Some of the hardware issues might have been
found ahead of time.

Which reminds me that a series of commands to type in and see if your
tuner cards are actually detected and working by the kernel:

Type THIS......look for THAT

might also help the "step by step" instructions.

> > I also want to point out that the NHTI faculty spent quite a bit of time
> > on Saturday keeping the building open, etc.
>
>   Indeed.  Thank-you thank-you thank-you to the NHTI people.  :-)
>
> -- Ben

Yes, I took Sterling off again, so they can have a little peace while we
sort this out.

md