Ted,

Here is one example of the letters, back and forth between the IRS and
the Cincinatti LUG, which was successful in getting 501(c)3 status.

>As of 14 June 2006, CINLUG (The Central Indiana Linux Users Group,
>Inc.) is considered by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) of the United
>States of America to be exempt from Federal income tax under section
>501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to CINLUG are
>deductible under section 170 of the Code. CINLUG is classified as a
>public charity under section 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Code.

The documents at this URL detail CINLUG's quest to acquire 501c3 exempt
tax status:

http://www.cinlug.org/501c3/

Of the 16 documents on this page, a lot of them are PDFs generated from
another document, so there are really only about six or so documents
they submitted, and three of those are incorporation letters we already
have.

It is also possible that, having read these and making sure that CINLUG
is a lot like us, that you could submit like paperwork, avoid their
mistakes, and then just point to them and say "We are just like them",
cutting down on the confusion of "The large Linux corporation."

I may get more information from other LUGs, but wanted to pass this
along to you as soon as possible.

md