Benjamin Scott wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Chris Bourassa wrote:
> > I am planning on learning (at least start) Perl.  How different is Linux
> > Perl compared to (yuch) Perl for Win32.
>
>   I'm going to respectfully disagree with the people here who have stated that
> Perl on Win32 isn't like Perl on POSIX.

I have to agree with Ben here.  There are not that many differences between
ActivePerl and regular perl. There used to be alot more in the old 5.004 days
when ActivePerl was still fairly new, the latest versions, however, are much
better.  Because you are new to perl, you probably won't see any differences
at all.  The differences come to play when you use some of the more advanced
features of perl like fork.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating using Winders, actually I loathe
the thought.  IMHO, however, you should be able to learn perl just fine
on that platform and transition over to linux without a hitch.

The only recommendation I have is to use regular forward slashes for path
separators in your script.  Perl will happily use forward slashes on a Winblows
box without a problem, and makes your code much easier to read, by avoiding
horrendous multiple back slashed paths.

>  ActivePerl is the regular Perl distribution,
> compiled for Win32, and dressed up nicely with an installer, documentation,
> etc.  It also includes a lot of Win32 modules and extensions right out of the
> box.

Don't forget ppm.  A very handy little utility for installing pre-built
modules from CPAN.

--
Matthew W. Herbert   x75764
Spectrum Advanced Applications