Jamie Blondin wrote:

> I always stayed away from the killall commands precisely because I read
> that manpage.  (I really don't ever want to be making that mistake when
> on another platform).  But, yes, killall is even easier.

    The Tru64 man page for killall reads in part "When started by the
superuser, the killall
  command kills all processes that can be terminated, except those processes
  that started it, the kernel processes, and processes 0 and 1 (init)".

    When doing some shell programming before I've used:
        `ps ax | grep 'regexp' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill
-SIGHUP

--
Bob Bell                Compaq Computer Corporation
Software Engineer       110 Spit Brook Rd - ZKO3-3U/14