Hi,
>So you have users *on* the beowulf cluster that want to talk to other
>internal users outside of the clusters firewall?

No, my problem was that I couldn't use talk _on_ the firewall. Not through it,
just both users on the same host, and talk to each other- this would be the
first step. Normally I wouldn't let anything on a firewall of course, but this
is a special case. The machine originally is not intended to be a firewall, but
I need it for the beowulf now. So I was thinking on the problem this morning,
and my conclusion was that I didn't manage to figure out how the effect of
(This is the important part of the mail:)
ipchains -P input DENY
ipchains -P output DENY
could be altered so that every port will be accepted from/to the localhost.

What I tried was:
ipchains -A input -s 127.0.0.0/8 -d 0/0 -i lo -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A input -d 127.0.0.0/8 -s 0/0 -i lo -j ACCEPT
//the same with output
But it wasn't enough. This is a rather theoretical question because the final
beowulf firewall won't be intended for common users/services, but I'm interested
in it. I will give it a try again later, maybe I just overlooked something.

Ferenc
ps: I just noticed that in kmail/reply the address is the orig. sender, not the
list. Just a notice, copy/paste.