Adam Wendt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Well I think that I'm (for lack of a better term) fscked. I don't
>have the partition table information on hand and I don't think I can
>pull it out of my head.  Any other ideas? If not just tell me I'm
>fscked and I'll deal with reinstalling (wont be the end of the world
>but about 5 months wasted)

Here's an approach that might be worth while, depending on what was on
that disk drive: Buy a new disk, considerably bigger than your current
disk, and install both Windows and Linux on that.  Connect your
current disk too.  Use dd to copy the data from your old disk (the raw
device) to one or more big files on the new disk.  I think these will
be limited to 2 GB each.  Then use grep, string, and other Unix tools
to find the useful parts of the data.  If it's something you updated
frequently, you will probably find several versions, and you will have
to figure out which is the most recent.  Use dd again to copy the
useful parts to smaller files and finally an editor to clean things
up.

As I said, it depends on what you lost.  Small text files with
distinctive patterns will be easy.  Big binary or compressed files
will be tough - especially if the Linux filesystem was fragmented.  On
the other hand, this way you will not be burning your bridges behind
you.  Next week when you think of yet another thing you lost
("Melissa's phone number!"), you will still have a chance to recover
it.

         - Jim Van Zandt