I didn't like pump when it was first released, so I have been removing
pump and loading dhcpcd since pump was introduced.
Edit /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown so that dhcpcd is invoked instead of
pump,
when the interfaces are brought up and shutdown. On my firewall I
changed the
line that invoked pump to

  PUMPARGS="-h $DHCP_HOSTNAME"
    fi
    echo -n "Determining IP information for $DEVICE..."
    if /sbin/dhcpcd -d -D -H -c /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall $DEVICE ; then
        echo " done."
    else
        echo " failed."
        exit 1

and In my ifdown I changed the line that kills pump to

fi

if [ "$BOOTPROTO" = bootp -o "$BOOTPROTO" = dhcp ]; then
        dhcpcd -k ${DEVICE}
fi

JDF