"James R. Van Zandt" wrote:

> Jeffry Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >Found this:
> >http://orbiten.org/ofss/01.html
> >
> >They tally the current (approximate) total at over 12,000 authors, 25
> >million lines of code.  They only include RH 6.1, Linux 2.2.14,
> >cryptography code at a site, and 50% of freshmeat.  Next survey to
> >include BSD, Sourceforge, CPAN.  Interesting survey.
>
> I just read an estimate that the potato release of Debian represents
> about 7 GB or 120 million lines of sources.  That may include contrib
> and non-free, but they are quite a bit smaller than main.
>
>                  - Jim Van Zandt
According to orbiten, they plan to redo the survey every few months, and
steadily expand it.  Sounds like they need to include Debian main as
well.  I've included the authors of the study on this response.

jeff smith
Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED] phone:978.446.9166,x271 fax:978.446.9470