From: Mansur, Warren
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:20 PM
To: 'Tom Rauschenbach'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: first LAN

Hi,

Do you want DSL or a cable modem?  If so I recommend getting LinkSys
DSL/Cable router.  It acts as a 10/100 switch internally.  It also acts as a
gateway to your DSL modem/Cable modem.  Here's how it works (overview):

1) The linksys router either uses dhcp or a static address to gain a
connection to the outside world through your DSL modem or Cable Modem
2) It then acts as a DHCP server that hands out local addresses to your
local computers (you can also use static local addresses)
3) When a computer wants to talk to an external host, such as
www.google.com, the computer sends its packets to the linksys router, and
the linksys router acts as a gateway and sends them to google.com.

The linksys router is configured via a web browser from any of your
connected computers.

So, in short, all you have to do is plug your computers into this linksys
router, and they can communicate with each other and the outside world.  You
don't have to configure one computer to act as a gateway, the linksys router
does that for you.

You can forward ports to different computers if you wish, for example if you
want to be able to connect through ftp from outside into your LAN, then you
can configure the router to send all ftp requests through to one of your
internal computers.

If you just want to create a LAN that doesn't talk with the outside world,
then just get 1 10/100 switch (with enough ports to support your number of
computers), and as many cat 5 (100 Megabit) cables as you need to connect
your computers to the switch.  Then, for each computer, configure the
network as the following:

gateway: no value
subnet mask: choose any one, as long as it's the same on each computer (e.g.
255.255.255.0)
ip address: choose an IP address differing only by the last number, so if
you had three computers you could use (the first three numbers are mostly
arbitrary although a few are restricted):

149.159.118.1
149.159.118.2
149.159.118.3

Then, your computers can talk with each other with no problem, and even WINS
will work since they are local.  You'll have a true 100 MBIT network
(fast!!)

I recommend a switch instead of a hub because switches are "smart" and they
only send packets to the computer that needs to hear them, whereas a hub
just sends everything to all computers.

Hope I answered your question.  Not sure what type of LAN you are looking to
make.

Regards,

Warren