Karl,

I have the same kind of modem from the same year.  Has worked perfectly
for the past three years.

On a related AT&T front, I got a call from them friday saying they would be
testing the area (Billerica, MA) for digital cable.  The person on the phone
said it would be mandatory (!) at some point in the future, implying near
future.  When the tech came by, I took the box.  There's some realy neat
and really bad fatures of it, but I can post a review if anyone's interested.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228