Hop on over to the New York Times article at
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/07/technology/ebusiness/07GADG.html
(free registration required -- ick) and scroll about 2/3 of the down for
this classic quote:

   Mr. Perlman said that after Microsoft acquired WebTV for $425 million
   in April 1997 he had stayed and tried to refine the product until it
   became clear that Microsoft's principal interest was in ensuring that
   its Windows CE operating system was in the box rather than improving
   the consumer experience.

I think that speaks for itself and requires no further comment.

(Yeah, I know, I'm preaching to the choir.)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior Systems Administrator