Hmm.  I'm running a 1 GHz Athlon with kernel version 2.4.3 (a la Mandrake
8.0) and a 32 MB NVidia TNT2 AGP video card (and XFree 4.0.3 if it matters)
on an ABIT KT7A-RAID mobo with 512 MB RAM.  I have not experienced any random
lockups.  I know nothing about the stock Mandrake kernel and haven't tried
"rolling my own" yet (but I will, once I learn more about the process).

Are these lockups truly random?  The article doesn't go into too much detail.

-Mike-