Sorry to pipe in, but I must.  The fact is that the learning / use curve of
Linux, particularly compared to Windows, is very high.  I completely agree
that the man pages are confusing.  They often lack real world examples as
well.  This can be very imposing to the new user.  The response "well they
obviously didn't read the man man" is just plain stupid and completely
misses the point (sorry, no offense to whomever posted that remark, it's
very a very typical response).  It's as far off base as "they didn't read
the how-to's in the LDP".  The point is the average newbie doesn't have a
clue about these things.  That's the definition of a newbie.

Now, conversely I'm not suggesting that these newbies become instant
sysadmins.  Absolutely there is a place, and a need, for people and
documentation for those well versed in Linux.  So, I understand where those
with a great deal of experience are coming from.  However, I've got twenty
books here.  I'm only a casual user of Linux and  I don't use it day in and
day out but I use it as often as I can.  It can be very, very difficult to
remember exact commands and syntax and most of the time the man pages do
little to clear things up.  They do an excellent job of giving me the full
breadth of a command but are far weaker for telling me how to make something
work.  The books do a far better job but it's awkward and difficult to
always have the books around.  Also, although man pages are in the same
general format some are pretty good.  Some are... ummm, not as good :-)

It has always amazed me just how recalcitrant the Linux community is about
making the system easier to use.  Note that I didn't say less complex.  Just
some way to lower the entry bar.  Many people, such as myself, learn by
getting their hands dirty.  If I screw it up too badly I just reinstall.
Despite a great deal of reading I've found very little in the way of good
beginners guides (I've read quite a few weak or poor beginners guides) and
certainly nothing built into the system.

So, any newbies out there just keep reading and learning.  This list gets
fairly interesting sometimes but I don't think I've ever seen a question go
by without someone answering it, no matter how difficult or simple.  In fact
I've seen some pretty amazing problems and concepts batted around here.
Some of the people on this list are really, really good.