I'm not sure that is a good test either.
DSL speeds should be consistent between the CO and your house, because you
have a dedicated circuit. Broadband speeds can vary depending on traffic on
your loop. Good broadband carriers limit the number of subscribers on a
single area. (Mediaone used to limit to 300). So testing between the ISP
and your home will potentially measure those variations.
But, measuring inside the ISP does nothing to measure their connection to
the Internet. So, I maintain that testing bandwidth between your system and
one of the various bandwidth sites is a reasonable test, but will not point
out problems inside of your ISP's local domain.
Mediaone used to have a series of files that installers would download to
test. These were inside their system. I forget the URL, but they are still
used to test newly installed and problem systems.

Jerry Feldman
Portfolio Partner Engineering
508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/

Compaq Computer Corp.