I registered my domain through DomainDiscover.com. I refuse to use
NetSol because their agreement states that when you register a domain,
they own it and you get to use it. I think that it cost me $35 for three
years. I pay $50/month for my DSL line. GraniteCanyon provides primary
and/or secondary DNS for free.

http://www.granitecanyon.com Free DNS services
http://www.directvdsl.com Good DSL

C-Ya,
Kenny

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 13:35, Dana S. Tellier wrote:
> Kenny,
>
>       I don't know if you'd rather reply to me personally or share this
> with everyone on the list, but I'm very interested in owning my own
> domain, and eventually putting together the very setup you've described.
> May I ask how much it costs you for the domain and the DSL, and what you
> recommend for for registrars, etc.?  I've always valued someone's personal
> experience over some review out on the web.  And for the people on this
> list, I value their personal experience FAR more than any other source.
>

> TIA,
>
> Dana
>

> On 21 Mar 2002, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
>
> > I decided that very same thing a few years ago. I registered a domain
> > name (digitalrebel.org), and set up my own firewall, DNS server (using
> > granitecanyon as a secondary DNS), mail server, and web server. All on
> > Linux. At the time, I was running it all over a MediaOne cable modem.
> > When AT&T bought out M1, things became extremely unstable. The
> > connection would drop every couple of days, and my IP address was
> > changing 2 or 3 times a week. I switched over to DirecTVDSL, and I have
> > a static IP address, they specifically allow *AND* support Linux, and it
> > is in the ToS that I am allowed to host my own domain, run servers, etc.
> > They will even provide primary or secondary DNS for my domain if I so
> > choose. I even gave myself webmail using IMP (although I am looking for
> > something better).
> >
> > Domains are cheap these days, so anyone can afford it. Setting up the
> > servers really only requires a few old PC's, a Linux distro, and some
> > documentation.
> >
> > C-Ya,
> > Kenny
>

> --
> Dana S. Tellier               Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Student Engineer              University of New Hampshire
> InterOperability Lab          220 Morse Hall, NH 03824
> Routing Consortium            603-862-0090 FAX: 603-862-1761

"In conclusion, please be wary where authority reigns" -- Warrior Soul

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0