dxpc will speed things up even more.  dxpc compresses the X *protocol*
& that gets you more then compressing the bits.  Here's some directions
I wrote to remind myself:
remotely working on a laptop
login to <work system>
        set display to laptop's IP
        dxpc -f
        set display to <work system>:8

on laptop:
        dxpc -f <work system>

back on <work system>
        run X apps to display on laptop

I used to use term once upon a time too.  You have to modify your app
to do that.  Those days are over thanks to things like slirp (a slip
emulators).

--
-------
Tom Buskey