On 09 Apr 2002 09:37:52, Mark Komarinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OO doesn't want to take over the desktop like 5.2 did.  That's the
> biggest thing.  On the down side, there is some functionality missing,
> most notably the database access and much of the clipart.  I don't
> need either, so it doesn't bother me.

(sorry I deleted the later posts) I believe Mark is referring to that
in OpenOffice and Staroffice 6.0 the documents appear as separate
toplevel X windows (e.g a new X window for each doc, presentation,
spreadsheet, ...) rather than having them all inside one container
window.

For my own work I definitely prefer having separate windows, however I
wonder if the all-in-one container might be better for some cases.

I am thinking if, say, I installed a OO solution for a school or
non-charitable association as a Windows/Office replacement primarily
for non-technical folks.  Maybe even first time computer users.  The
all-in-one container probably has a less steep learning curve.  It even
had its own web browser (not great, but it worked), and email client.
With those removed now, one would have to deal training the users wrt
the WM interaction, netscape/mozilla, mail client, and perhaps some
other issues we don't even think about since are no longer newbies...