That is also correct. I had forgotten.
But, my original point is that it is probably better to specify the full
pathname of a command.
X=$(/bin/ls) will generally result in identical results as:
PATH=/bin:$(PATH)
X=$(ls)

But, specifying the full pathname also forces the command to be executed
even if some version of the shell internalizes it or if the script somehow
sources ~/.bashrc directly or indirectly.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director