On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:15:14PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a message dated: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:03:32 EDT
> Bob Bell said:
>
> >    Look at the bash man page for '#', '##', '%', and '%%'.
>
> Are these "built-ins" also available in the real Bourne Shell, and/or ksh?
> Or are they strictly a "bash" thing?[1]
>
> If they only exist within bash, then I wouldn't advocate their use if
> you're goal is portable shell code.

    Well, of course it depends on your goal.  Limiting yourself to
Bourne shell is at times necessary, but makes many things much more
difficult.

    For what it's worth, what I mentioned is also available in ksh
(which is where I actually learned it), but not in "original" Bourne
shell.

--
Bob Bell                Compaq Computer Corporation
Software Engineer       110 Spit Brook Rd - ZKO3-3/U14