On Sat, 2002-05-04 at 15:53, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> Are there Linux software packages available
> to help with home construction/remodeling?
> Having never used such software I'm not even
> completely sure what I'm asking for, but I'd
> think such a package would at least (and I'm
> talking about something more than xfig) help
> you lay out a floorplan.  Fancier ones might
> provide some CAD assistance,

Well, since you aren't sure what you're asking, I'm not really sure what
to tell you. If you're looking for CAD software, there are several
commercial products, the best of which is LinuxCAD. There is also
VariCAD. If you are looking for something in the area of free, then
there are several of those, too. Check out Freshmeat:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=CAD&section=projects .

> perhaps even
> allowing you to model the entire structure
> right down to the studs and wiring and maybe
> even generating a materials list for the
> project.  A *really* cool package might even
> let you model the entire structure in 3D and
> allow you to move individual components on
> a what-if basis, etc, etc, etc...

I'm not sure that there are any home designer products for Linux that
have libraries of furniture, windows, doors, etc. However, you should be
able to create 3D images using a wire frame design tools, and then place
them inside of another design representing a house.

C-Ya,
Kenny