This is my question also.  Now, I'm not an expert on
security in any way shape or form, I would classify
myself as a novice at best.

I do understand defense in depth and multiple layers but
I have the same question that Lawrence does.  Unless
your webserver sits completely naked outside your
firewall (a situation I can't even begin to imagine)
then I don't see a really big problem w/ putting the SSL
accelerator in front of your load balancer.

Can someone please explain so a simple person like
myself can understand?

> Hi, Paul.
>
> It's 6:30am and has already been a long day for me, so
please forgive any
> disjointed thoughts.  :-}
>
> Anyway, I'm not very familiar w/ LVS-IP because I
haven't used that, but the
> problem w/ balancing SSL is when the encrypted
transaction hits your load
> balancer the balancer is unable to read any of your
session information (it's
> encrypted). So it just throws you at one of the web
servers in question (round
> robin usually). The web server decrypts the
transaction and is able to do any
> load balancing at that level before sending the
transaction on to an
application
> server (if applicable). The web server then encrypts
the return data before
> sending it back out thru the balancer to the user. At
no point does the
balancer
> see unencrypted session information. I'm not sure if /
how LVS-IP might
overcome
> that problem, but I'm going to try putting some
bandwidth into reading up on
it
> this week.
>
> I know this is true for Local Directors. Cisco (and
others I'm sure) make >
"smart" load balancers which basically handle the SSL
first, then do the load
> balancing, but functionally those are not much
different than putting an SSL
box
> in front of your LD if you already own them. As far as
an SSL transaction
> between the user and backend, I'm not 100% sure I am
reading the question
right.
> If your environment goes something like this:
>     Browser --> net --> firewall --> ssl --> balancer -
-> webserver -->
> appserver --> database
> Then that should be just as secure as:
>     Browser --> net --> firewall --> balancer -->
webserver / ssl -->
appserver
> --> database
>
> Basically, if your first firewall is compromised, then
you're open and having
> the transaction encrypted for one or two more levels
is probably not going to
> make a big difference. A good habit, of course, is to
put a second firewall
> between your web and app server tier or at least in
front of your db. If your
> database is not within your network and you need to
call out to it, then put >
another dedicated SSL box between your appserver and db
tier (one on each end,
> actually).  And, of course, another firewall. :-)
>
> If your config is significantly different or if I
misread your question, just